So you like to play tennis.
You think it’s “fun” to hit from time to time; sometimes you even surprise yourself by hitting kind-of-not-terribly. You think you could be halfway decent if you set your mind to it. But who has the time?
If any of this sounds familiar, then chances are you’re a tennis person—not to be confused with a Tennis Person. With the U.S. Open starting and public courts opening up again, it’s essential to know the difference.
Ask yourself the following, and please. Be honest:
1) Do I say, “Sorry!” every time I hit the ball into the net?
2) Do I say, “Sorry!” every time I hit the ball out of bounds?
3) Do I say, “Sorry!” every time I hit the ball over the fence?
4) If I’m playing doubles, would I rather miss a mid-court ball than shout, “Mine!” at my partner?
5) If I do shout, “Mine!” at my doubles partner, do I feel like a dick?
6) Do I feel guilty after calling an opponent’s shot “Out”?
7) Do I wonder if maybe I was wrong?
8) Do I make up for it as soon as possible by calling the next shot “In” when it was actually out?
9) If I’m winning, do I feel like a show-off for announcing the score?
10) Do I say, “Thanks!” if my opponent compliments one of my shots?
11) Do I feel compelled to compliment my opponent’s good shots, whether I’m winning or losing?
12) Do I ever smile or laugh on the tennis court?
13) Am I embarrassed by my serve?
14) Do I think playing tennis is a great way to make new friends?
If you answered Yes to any one of these questions, then you are officially a tennis person. If you think anyone who would answer Yes to any one of these questions is a pathetic loser, then you, my friend, are a Tennis Person. ❑
Photo by John Fornander
Ha! I said yes to every one of those questions, especially the Sorry ones. Very funny.
But…what if I answered yes to some of them but also thought I was a pathetic loser for doing so?
then I’d want to play tennis with you!!!
I used to like to play tennis, but the interpersonals did me in.
I do occasionally smile on the tennis court and compliment my opponent’s good shots, yet it should come as no surprise to you, I am a Tennis Person.
We appreciate your candor
This made me laugh (at myself).
Good, Grace! We need a few of those right now.
I used to be a sorry spouting tennis person….but because of my serve…I now play golf.
I could write a whole piece about my serve… in fact…
I only answered YES to questions 12 & 13. You can confirmed I am in fact a tennis person and clearly not as nice as others!
Love that! I’m envious